EA shutting down servers for online games is nothing new. They have been doing it for years to their titles but there is an interesting fact about this current run of server shut downs. EA will for the first time be shutting down servers for games that use the Online Pass system. The first wave of server shut downs will be on March 31st with a second wave coming on April 13th.
This is one of the main problems I have with Online passes. Sure they say they are using the money they get from forcing used buyers to purchase the pass to help support the servers for the games but this makes that seem like a lie. Lets just hope they at least actually remove the option to purchase these online passes from the online marketplaces.
Hit the jump for a full list of server closures.
March 31, 2012 — Online Services Shutdown
- BATTLEFIELD™ 3: Aftershock for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
- Fantasi Safari for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
- Ghost Harvest for iPhone
April 13, 2012 — Online Services Shutdown
- BOOM BLOX Bash Party for Wii
- Burnout™ Revenge for Xbox 360
- EA Create for PC, PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360
- EA Sports Active 2.0 for PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360
- EA Sports Active NFL Training Camp for Wii
- FIFA 10 for PlayStation Portable and Wii
- The Godfather™ II for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- MMA for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- Need for Speed™ ProStreet for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- The Saboteur™ (loss of The Midnight Club access) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- Spare Parts for PlayStation 3 Xbox 360